Sunday 2 December 2012

Uploaded our First "We Can See" Book!


Mrs. Ham and I are fortunate to work for a school board that is filled with very passionate and technologically talented/progressive educators.  So much so, that one (Angie Harrison) suggested we begin a "We Can See" project to connect our kindergarten classrooms and communities online through our blogs and the Twitterverse.

This project allows us to create books in any format (iPhoto, iMovie, ComicLife, etc.) to share what is unique and similar about our school contexts.  Thus far, it has been a wonderful opportunity for many authentic experiences, including, but not limited to, shared reading, shared writing, and discussions.

Here is a peek into our first "We Can See" book:


















If you are one of our blog followers and woud like to be included in this exciting project, please post a comment below.  We would love to have more schools from around our city, province, country, and THE WORLD join in!

Thank you again to Angie Harrison for organizing this, and to those who have already submitted their books.  Our students are really enjoying making connections about what they see and read. 

Follow us on Twitter @ joanne_babalis

8 comments:

  1. I would love to be a part of this amazing project! I have an AM and PM Kindergarten class at Thornwood PS in the PDSB. We have been creating class-made books, both in traditional paper formats and with Voicethread, to share our stories with families at home. I think the natural next step for my students would be to connect with children elsewhere who are as literate, creative, and curious as they are.
    Laurel Fynes @kinderfynes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurel,

    I will try to find you on Twitter otherwise you can email me at joannebabalis@hotmail.com so that we get the ball rolling!!

    It would be wonderful to have you join!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    We are Kindergarten students from Lorna Jackson Public School.

    We really liked your book. The surprise of the clouds was nice and thank you for thinking about us.

    We would like to compliment you on your book.
    - "That was a very nice book because you saw lots of different things." - S.M.
    - "I liked the ladybug." - R.L.
    - "I liked the park." - W.F.
    - "I really liked the volcano clouds!" - L.D.
    - "I liked how you put a surprise for us." - I.D.
    - "I liked the slide." - A.M.
    - "I liked their outdoor classroom." - W.F.

    Did you like our book? We wish you could send us a letter back.

    From,
    Ms. Schmidt & Ms. Theis' Kindergarten Class
    Lorna Jackson Public School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ms. Schmidt and Ms. Theis' Kindergarten Class,

      We are in the process of preparing our next blog post as a response to your letter.

      Can't wait until we are finished and you get to read it!

      Sincerely,

      Ms. Babalis and Mrs. Ham's Class

      Delete
  4. Hello there and Season's Greetings from the North! I have been following your website and blog since I took Kindergarten Part 1 last summer and discovered your website. It has been very inspiring! I LOVE what you so willingly share! You have a beautiful classroom and your students are lucky to have you as their teacher!

    I am sooooo interested in your "We Can See" project and would love to be a part of it. I teach in North Bay and we would love to share the beautiful things we see outside our classroom and in our school community and connect with other classrooms! I have a JK/SK class where my S.K.'s come full day everyday and my J.K.'s are full day alternate. We will have ELK-P next year in our school and we are really looking forward to it.

    Sincerely,
    Carolyn Robidoux

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn,

    Season's Greetings!!

    Thank you for following our blog! I am glad that we have been able to inspire you, and I really appreciate your kind compliments. We are also very inspired by many bloggers and tweeters!

    If you email me at joannebabalis@hotmail.com I can help set you up with the login information.

    We look forward to having you join our "We Can See" team!

    Sincerely,

    Joanne Babalis
    Bond Lake P.S., Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carolyn,

    I got your email. Thank you!

    For some strange reason, every time that I respond the email is returned to me.

    I'm not sure why this is happening! Can you try to use a different email account?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog and the We can See Project. I am having trouble posting - not sure how. I have an iPhoto PDF book I would like to post.

      Delete